3.03.2010

the. best. cheesecake. EVER!

I love all things vanilla bean! And, vanilla bean cheesecake is my FAVORITE! My friend Adam is a cheesecake guru and a few years ago came up with a new vanilla bean recipe for me and it is fantastic!!!


INGREDIENTS:
Crust:
1 1/3 cup shortbread cookies (I use Simply Sandies)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla sugar*

Filling:
1 cup + 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar*
4- 8oz packages cream cheese (Philladelphia is the best)
1 cup sour cream
2 vanilla beans, scraped
4 large eggs

* vanilla sugar - I put 1 vanilla bean, split open, in about 2 cups of sugar and let sit for 3-4 days. (The longer the better.)


For the crust:
Chop cookies in food processor.
In a bowl, mix cookie crumbs, vanilla sugar and cold butter with a fork until combined.
Put in 9" spring form pan, sprayed with Pam and bake at 325 degrees for 5-7 minutes.



For the filling:
Mix cream cheese and sugar until just smooth.  Do not overmix.
Add sour cream and vanilla, mix until blended.
Add eggs, one at a time, mix until smooth.


(Did you notice the little finger print in the bowl.  Yep, I just HAD to taste the batter.  YUMMY!)

Pour batter on top of crust.
Make sure to wrap pan in foil and place in a water bath.  Water should come about half way up spring form pan.



Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until internal temp reaches 155 degrees.
Let cheesecake cool at room temp for about an hour, then cover and refrigerate.



And there you have it.  the. best. cheesecake. EVER!

I like it plain, but if you're a topping kinda person, quarter some fresh strawberries, add a little vanilla sugar and let them chill for a few hours. And you'll have a sweet strawberry topping.

If I can do it, so can you!  So, get your mixer out and start baking!



My new mixer came today, so I see another cheesecake, or other goodies in our near future.  Because that is EXACTLY what we need after last night's dinner of everything fried.  French fries, onion rings and jalapeno poppers.  Yep, I'm getting in swimsuit shape! HA!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That looks wonderful! I imagine that the cookies make a yummy crust.

I make vanilla sugar, too, and just keep adding sugar as I use it up. In several months, the vanilla bean doesn't seem to have lost its ability to flavor the sugar.

Anonymous said...

Oh, cheesecake, how I miss you :) I didn't make one in a while, and I think it's about time :)
And yours looks awesome :) thanks for sharing!

Val said...

Can I have a slice? Pretty please????? Looks great.

alicia said...

I don't have a great cheesecake recipe. Can't wait to try it. Thanks so much for linkin up with tasty tuesdays today!

Susie Buetow said...

You've been busy today! Thanks for linking this up on my Christmas Goodie link up!!!! Yummy!!! susie