12.01.2010

Parenting 101

I've learned a few things about raising a baby during the past 16 months with Jack.  Being a first-time mommy is hard work and while I have a few mommy friends who have offered advice or shared what works for them and what doesn't, I thought I should compile a simple list of my own - I'll call it Parenting 101.  I'm sure there will be many courses to follow as Jack grows and changes, but this is what I've learned so far.


{one} Get that baby on a schedule ASAP!  I heard this over and over from my friend Heather before I had Jack, but never knew just how important it was until he was born.  It took us about 6-8 weeks before we were on a really good schedule, but once we were, it was smooth sailing - or at least I knew more of what to expect during the day.  Our schedule has definitely changed and evolved as he's grown and gone through different stages, but a schedule of some sort is a MUST!


{two}  Don't say "I will never..." because eventually you will.  I said Jack wouldn't carry a blanket all over the house, but now he's a regular Linus.  I'm holding strong to not taking it everywhere though, except when we're out of town, sick or he will be napping away from home.  Then the blankie is ok.  See, never say never! HA!


{three}  Don't put real milk in a bottle. Actually, I wouldn't suggest putting anything in a bottle except breastmilk/formula.  (Unless directed by your Dr)  I never did and I believe it made weaning Jack from the bottle that much easier.  I started him on a sippy cup with a little water around 6 months, then began putting his formula in a cup around 9 months (he would NEVER drink it from the cup), then a week before he turned one, I started giving him warm milk in the cup.  (I used a different style cup for milk and water)  He didn't drink much milk at first, maybe only a few ounces a few times a day, but by the time his 1st birthday came he was drinking only real milk or water from the cup and no more bottles.  His last bottle was the day before his 1st birthday.  I also stopped giving him a bottle before bed when he was about 10 or 11 months.  I had always heard this was the hardest one to stop, so we stopped early.  It worked for us.

Jack LOVES this glow-worm. 
He carries it everywhere!

{four}  Create a bedtime routine and stick to it.  It doesn't matter what the routine is, it just needs to be consistent.  Jack gets a bath every night around 7:00.  We brush his teeth, take a bath, get a drink of water, tell daddy "night, night" and it's time for bed.  9 times out of 10 he goes right to sleep.  Jack is typically in bed before 8:00. 

Getting ready to push the button so the Glow-Worm will sing Twinkle, Twinkle or Hush Little Baby for the 9 millionth time that day!  Loves that thing! 

{five}  Eat all meals at the table or highchair.  I think this is important because Jack knows when he's sitting in the highchair, it's time to eat.  Of course, sometimes he colors there too, but most of the time, it's for eating.  I also don't let him walk around the house with a cup.  I have water sitting on the end table, so if he gets thirsty while playing he can get a drink, but the cup doesn't go everywhere.  If he gets hungry, he will walk to his chair and wait for someone to put him in it.  If it's a scheduled meal time and he doesn't eat what I give him, then obviously he's not hungry, or if he doesn't finish everything on his plate, then he must be full.  I do not make him eat or clean his plate.  I believe children eat when they are hungry.  This may change as he gets older or more picky, but for now this works for me.  And, he is obviously not malnourished!  HA!

Of course, all children are different and what works for me may not work for you, but for now these are the few things that come to mind right off that have made our lives with a baby a little easier. 

What tips or tricks do you have?  What has made your life with your little ones easier?
Photobucket

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think these are all awesome tips! We were very bad about the bottle at nightime with both our boys, they both took one before bed til they were almost 2. I know, I'm a horrible mother! LOL.
You sound like you are doing a great job!

Just Brandi said...

great list! I couldn't agree more on these!

SkinnyMeg said...

I'm also a firm believer in never say never :) He is freaking ADORABLE!!

Shannon said...

These are terrific! Brandy I agree with all of them especially getting baby on a schedule ASAP! I've actually done all these and am laughing at the "never say never" that's so true! I catch myself totally doing all the things I said I never would when I was much younger and childless!

Great list and adorable pictures of the little man. Always love seeing pictures of our kiddos in all our posts!

Hope you had a great day!

Dianne_momstuff said...

Brandy, really nice blog. I am your newest follower from Bloggy Moms Blog Hop. You can find me at http://mom-stuffcommunity.blogspot.com/

Tales from the Trails said...

Good advice. Keep it coming, this new momma needs it.