1.07.2011

Getting Organized in 2011 (Part One)

Before we get to my "Getting Organized" let's have a little Phone Photo Fun with Shannon, shall we?


Reading to his rabbit.

Jack's new favorite shoes to wear are his boots.  He'll bring them to me to put on him no matter the outfit.  His current fav is boots with his jammies.  He's such a trendsetter! HA!


Getting Organized in 2011


My house with all of its clutter, every cabinet and closet full, has been driving me CRAZY lately.  So after a little push from Daphne's post yesterday, I decided it was time to do something about this madness!  You see, Ran's house (where we live) used to be empty.  I'm talking the only furniture in that house was a couch, chair w/ ottoman, 2 beds, chest of drawers, night stands and a few computer desks.  There were no full closets or cabinets.  Only the necessities.  It was plain and I hated it!  Enter me, lots of furniture and other stuff and then a baby.  Our house filled up quickly!  Then came Jack's birthday and more toys and now Christmas and even more toys.  I miss the simplicity when it was just Randy's house.  So, I'm on a mission to get some of that back and make our home a little less chaotic, busy and cluttered.



Well, sadly, when my dad came to visit this past Monday my living room still looked like a toy bomb exploded in it! 


It really is was ridiculous!  Last night, the organizing bug bit me and I'm proud to say that my living room and even guest room and guest closet have now been de-cluttered and are now organized.  At least as organized as I can be.  HA!


Toys only consume one little corner of the living room.  This is progress people!


And look at that!  You can walk through my living room without tripping over 9 million toys scattered everywhere!  Granted, these pictures were taken after Jack went to bed and everything was put away, but I'll take a few hours of order when I can get them.  HA!


This is the armoire in my guest bedroom.  I wish I had a before picture because it was filled with random junk, extra home decor that I haven't looked at in forever and just odds and ends stuff.  I cleaned it out - most of the stuff will go to Goodwill, the rest got relocated to its rightful home - and then I had a perfect space for Jack's "extra" toys.  I sorted the toys into two baskets - one for the living room, one for storage.  I plan to rotate his toys every few months, so it will be like having brand new toys all the time!  Thanks Centsational Girl for that little tip!


I also cleaned out the guest closet.  Again, I wish I had a picture of the before.  It was a disaster!  Full of clothes I haven't worn in years, a lot of which still had tags on them.  *sidenote:  before Jack was born I shopped A LOT and bought things I might wear some day.* I moved the clothes I wanted to keep to our closet and sacked the rest up for Goodwill.  After getting rid of the clothes and stuff we don't want/need, I was left with a perfect space for extra toys and stuff that we aren't ready to get rid of yet. 


So, 2 rooms down, 8 to go!
That's progress in my book!
Next up:  Jack's closet and bathroom and the kitchen.


It is HARD to clean, pick up, organize with a busy toddler at your feet, so Daddy tried to occupy him for a little bit by giving him a ride around the house in the laundry basket.  Jack LOVED it!

How do you stay organized and uncluttered?
I'd love to hear your ideas!
Photobucket

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Jack. Grammy will be there soon to rescue your rocking Giraffe!!

Kari said...

First...love his boots. Where did Santa find those? We only have pink ones! Second, great job with the organizing. We recently turned okie dining room into a playroom thinjing that would contain our stuff. Bad idea...not only did we loose our dining room, but the stiff is still everywhere. Defeated, I've decided our house can look like a daycare till the youngest is out of the house.

Ashley Paige said...

hold up. i WISH i could look that cute wearing boots with my jammies! i love it!

so.. do you make housecalls? i mean, for organizational purposes? our family room looks like it's been taken over with baby equipment.. in one room alone there's the jumperoo, the walker AND the swing.. the poor Sheepdog doesn't have anywhere to lay down!

my mission this weekend is to really get in there and straighten up.. it's been eating at me for weeks! and i feel like a whole weekend devoted to cleaning is just what i need!

Joni said...

oh thank goodness i am not the only one with toy issues. they are everywhere around here. drives me absolutely bonkers. it really is a lose/lose situation because i don't like to tell my children they can't play with their toys so i have to endure tripping over them until we can move to a bigger home.

Stephanie said...

Oh girl, this is a constant battle at our house, the cleaning of toy bins and closets and rearranging, it's neverending!!! Drives me up the wall but I guess it's definately something all parents with young children go through. I seriously have a love/hate relationship with birthdays and Christmas, I love it because it's such a fun time and we make special memories but then I hate it because I know the aftermath will be toys everywhere for a few weeks before I can find places for all the new stuff. A constant battle.

Shannon said...

Hey Brandy- oh my goodness is he adorable! we have the same issues with our living room. You'll see a basketball hoop, tool station, etc in my pics of Owen. It's crazy. It has signaled us to start building a play room. Just waiting for the funds and to clear out the space. Yikes! Thanks for following me. I'm joining your list of followers too. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic!

Now following from http://www.babydealsdujour.com/blog
We list all of the best baby daily deals in real-time. Would love for you to follow back!

Jenn said...

Toys, toys everywhere... That's exactly how I feel all the time! :)
My living room looks a lot like your before pictures and well, so do lots of the other rooms in our house. :( It's so... sad!
Now if I can only find the time to start organizing. Hummm... I wonder if I can get daddy to pull Peek-A-Boo around in a basket while I clean?
I'll have to give it a try!
Great blog by the way... :)

Meri said...

Hi!
I found you from for the love of blogs. You have inspired me to do some organizing!
Cute stuff!
Meri

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the Saturday Hops to say hello.
Have a great weekend!
http://poshonabudget.com/2010/12/happy-saturday.html

Crystal said...

Hey girl...you have such a great blog design. I love it!! I'm visiting from the Weekend Wander at FTLOB. Your little guy is so cute. My house looks like a toy store threw up...everywhere! It's crazy. I believe in a place for everything and everything in its place...but I don't seem to have enough places for our everything. We may need to downsize.

I read through some of your posts...we will keep baby Preston and his family in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Following your blog from Social Parade. Would greatly appreciate the follow back. Have a great weekend!

http://www.AMommysSweetBlogDesign.com

Anonymous said...

Cute blog :) I am your 300th follower!!! I can't wait to read more! xoxo

Carol Lawrence And Stacy Toten said...

Great blog! Good job organizing.
I still have the pair of cowboy boots both my boys wore when they were little. I'm saving them for the grandkids! So cute.
New follower.
http://www.intentionalconsciousparenting.com
http://www.creatorscreatures.blogspot.com
Please join our blog frog community.
http://theblogfrog.com/1355013

Shannon said...

Working my way backwards...love that last picture of Jack in the laundry basket! We do this at Kindermusik and GG loves it!

Amen to getting organized, that's on my to do list too!