7.20.2010

The Face that Changed Our Lives FOREVER {and a birth story}

Benjamin Jack
 
July 19, 2009 at 3:45pm
6lbs 8oz
18.5 inches
 
This is the FACE that changed our lives FOREVER!
"...for you are fearfully and wonderfully made" Psalm 139:14
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Friday, July 17, 2009
This was going to be my parents' last trip to visit before the baby was born (they live 4 hours away and I was due around August 12th) and we were going to get all of the last minute things ready for Baby Jack.  We went to dinner and the whole time I was pushing on my belly - some baby body part was constantly jabbed in my ribs - and my mom kept saying "I just wish he would come out."  Randy and I just kept laughing everytime she'd say it.  After dinner we went home and put together the stroller, hung some book shelves and did other little things to get ready.  Little did we know, we'd be meeting Baby Jack in a few short days.
 
Saturday, July 18th, 2009
My mom wanted to drive by the hospital where I was going to deliver, just in case I went into labor during the night and she had to drive up by herself, so we drove by the hospital and looked around a little.  I hadn't been to see the hospital yet, since our birthing classes weren't scheduled until the following weekend.  As we drove around the hospital, my mom said "Baby Jack don't you want to come out now, we're right here at the hospital?"  But, he wasn't quite ready, so we went shopping and grabbed a bite to eat.  My mom and I got pedicures and my feet were so swollen the man said, I bet you have that baby soon...
 
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 - THE BIG DAY
It was about 8:15 or so in the morning when I got a text from my BFF Heather letting me know her husband would be home from Afghanistan the following day.  I replied "Woo Hoo!  How exciting!"  And, at that very moment, laying in my bed, my water broke.  That might be the most disgusting thing I've ever experienced and let's just say I was prepared for all things baby, but it had slipped my mind to also prepare for that.  (TMI - I know!)  Anyway, I yelled at my mom and she knew immediately what was going on.  She went into panic mode and I just sat there like what am I supposed to do now?!?  I took a shower, called Heather, got all of my stuff together and called the doctor.  We headed to the hospital around 10:30am. 
 
36 1/2 weeks - right before leaving for the hospital

I was checked in and put in a room by 11:15am and by that point my contractions were beginning to get uncomfortable.  The nurse checked me and I wasn't dialated at all.  I was ready for an epidural, but no one could get a hold of my doctor and I was delivering at a different hospital than I had originally planned (but still the one we visited the day before) so everyone was confused.  Thankfully I was the only woman delivering at that hospital that day, so they got everything straightened out fairly quickly. 


I got my epidural and it was smooth sailing until the nurse was ready to start pitocin and checked me again.  She said "that's not a head - maybe a foot or elbow, but let me get another opinion" and the second nurse said the same thing.  So obviously that little body part that had been jabbing me in my ribs was either a head or a booty.  So, after a sonogram, it was decided we'd move to Plan B which was an emergency C-section.  I was prepped and rolled into surgery around 3:00pm and Jack was born at 3:45pm.  All of that is such a blur, since the anesthesia had made me really nauseous and I was so overwhelmed with all of the chitter-chatter going on around me.  I do remember thinking that it took forever for Jack to cry and I was worried about how big he was since he came 3 1/2 weeks early.  But he was perfectly healthy weighing 6lbs 8oz and was 18 1/2 inches long. I can't find any of my delivery pictures now, but will try to post a few some other time.

Proud new Daddy going to tell everyone that Mommy and Baby were doing well.

I was so thankful that the nurses let Randy and I just hang out with Jack for a while before they took him to get all cleaned up. I fed him and we just sat there staring at him in complete awe for what seemed like forever.  It was exactly how I wanted it to be!  I'm sure our families were getting a little antsy while waiting to see the new baby.


Everyone looking at the precious baby.

My parents, grandparents, aunts, best friend Heather and Randy's dad were at the hospital when Jack was born.  And we had so many visitors that night and over the next few days.

Grammy and Papa Jeff

Memaw and Grandad
Jack is named after Grandad

Aunt Heather and Lily

Our Little Family

Proud Mommy

Proud Daddy

The Newest Red Raider

Going home!

July 19, 2009 - the day my life changed FOREVER and I will never, ever be the same...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Linking to:
ShutterLoveTuesdays

This week's theme was FACES.Photobucket

4 comments:

Heather said...

That my friend was one of the craziest days of my life! I am so glad that I got to be there and see baby Jack the day he came into the World! We love y'all!

Tales from the Trails said...

I've left you something on my blog. Enjoy!!

http://thewilliamsons06.blogspot.com/2010/07/yee-haw.html

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashley said...

Reading through your blog and LOVE your birth story! Us moms I think could tell our story over and over again! The funny thing is I am a Labor and Delivery RN and so is an old friend of mine who works at Baylor Medical Center. Do you remember who your nurse was? My friend is named Jaclyn...I know its a long shot but you never know :P

-Ashley-
P.s. I hope to sew like you one day! You give me inspiration!