4.01.2011

Cedar Plank Salmon and Simple Risotto

Photobucket

We rarely eat salmon, but after randomly grabbing a few salmon fillets and cedar planks at Target the other day, we're hooked!  This recipe is so simple and so good!  I'm typically not a salmon fan because it can get a little "fishy" tasting, but not this one!  Nope - it's PERFECT!


Ingredients
salmon fillets, skin on
Adkins BBQ Seasoning (I found it at Kroger)
cedar planks


Soak cedar planks in water according to package directions.  Season salmon with Adkins, let sit at room temp until the grill is ready.  Place salmon on cedar plank, then on grill.  Grill until internal temp reaches 145 degrees.  Do not overcook!

I realize this is a HUGE piece of fish, but it's so good!  I ate almost every bite! :)

Simple Risotto
1 cup arborio rice
1 diced onion
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 stick butter or 1/4 cup
3 cups chicken  or vegetable broth
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Saute onion and garlic in butter in medium saucepan until translucent (about 5 min), add rice and saute an additional 5 minutes or until rice starts to brown a little.
Add broth and cook over medium heat stirring occassionally until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. (I added a little more broth, covered and cooked about 5 more minutes once liquid was absorbed)
Stir in cheese and serve.  Don't add any salt or pepper until the end, if needed.  My risotto was perfect without adding any salt or pepper.


It was so nice yesterday that Jack had dinner outside - a peanut butter sandwich, pineapple and cheese.  His FAVE!


Do you  have a Chop Wizard
I'm not big on kitchen gadgets, but when I first tried this one at my sister's house, I had to have it!  It makes cutting vegetables so quick and easy - I can chop a whole onion in about 30 seconds!  I'll spare you the entire infomercial spill, but it really is awesome!  It can be found in the "as seen on tv" section of wal-mart, target or bed, bath and beyond, or you can order on Amazon.


Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Book Lover said...

YUM!!

Stephanie said...

We love salmon and tilapia at our house, I'm always on the lookout for new recipes so thanks : )

Unknown said...

We have risotto pretty often and I usually throw some bagged shrimp in it, but this looks like an awesome alternative! We're not huge fans of salmon either, but I am going to give it a go :)

Pineapples and Pickles said...

Oh, this sounds and look divine!

Tales from the Trails said...

Cedar plank Salmon is a regular at our house over the summer. Love it. Quick, easy, and no fishy taste...perfect.

I have the Chop Wizard. I usually use it when I am chopping lots of veggies. It's a pain to clean by hand so I usually throw it in the top shelf of the dishwasher and Viola!!

How did I miss the new blog layout??! Love it!!

Shannon said...

I love salmon! This looks yummy! We got my mom something similar to the vidalia chopper from Williams Sonoma and it's awesome! Now I want one!

Have a great weekend!

XO

beckylbranch said...

That chop wizard actually looks pretty cool! Look forward to meeting you at the Dallas Blogger meetup :)