4.14.2011

Things You Should Know if We're Gonna be BFF

Today's post is all about me!

I'm going to the Dallas Blogger Meet-up in a few weeks and Jenn thought it would be fun for everyone who is going to do a little "Get to Know You" post so we can all get to know each other a little better before heading out to meet in real life!  I'm so excited (and nervous), but it is going to be a fun weekend! 

This pic is from last Easter - I can't seem to find any decent recent pics!

- I grew up in Kilgore, TX home of the World's Richest Acre and the Kilgore College Rangerettes (no, I was not a Rangerette)  Kilgore was typical "small town USA".  I cheered throughout high school, was the yearbook editor and on Student Council - I graduated in 1999 #11 in my class of 204.  Damn English for keeping me out of the Top 10.  I HATE English, but love math and science.

- I went to college at Texas Tech.  I love Red Raider football and college was definitely some of the best years of my life.  I graduated in 2003 with a Bachelor of Science in Restaurant, Hotel and Institutional Management.

- I still work for the same company that gave me a job right out of college.  My title is Director of Food and Nutritional Services - basically I manage the food service for a hospital.  I used to be in corporate dining, but I like the hospital much more.

- Obviously, I'm a mom.  Jack was born on July 19th, 2009.  I used to think I wanted him to be an only child - now I'm not so sure. 

- I'm an only child, but have 2 step-sisters.  Our parents didn't marry until we were grown, so I've never lived with them.

- I don't eat cucumbers, but LOVE pickles.

- I could eat chips and salsa, steak and potatoes EVERYDAY!  Most fruit (including fresh avocado and tomatoes) makes my throat and ears itch.

- I bought a sewing machine last summer because I needed a hobby and I wanted to make a rag quilt.  Little did I know a few short months later I would open an Etsy shop and actually have people buy from me.  I still get excited everytime I sell something!  It's funny to look back at my posts about the first things I made.  I think I've come a long way since then.  HA!

- I wish I was an Extreme Couponer or sale rack shopper, but I'm not.  I do; however, always load e-coupons onto my Kroger card and always search for discount codes before buying online.  (RetailMeNot is my FAVE)

- I prefer shiraz or a beer over fruity cocktails or margaritas. 

- I do not like to shop and when I do shop, I prefer to shop alone.  My mom said when I was born "Oh yay!  Now I have a shopping buddy!"  She could not have been more wrong!

- I rarely listen to music other than country.  If I had to pick only one artist to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Kenny Chesney.

- I never knew I was such a homebody until I had Jack.

- I could live without a TV and the only show I really watch religiously is Wheel of Fortune.

- I'm a pretty good cook, but I am NOT a baker!

- I am not very out-going.  It takes a few drinks a while for me to warm up to people.


That's all yall!  Anything else you want to know?  Just ask!  I can't wait to meet everyone.  If you are a Dallas area blogger and would like to join the fun, visit the DBM blog for details or Jenn's blog to link-up your "About Me" posts.

16 comments:

Kelly said...

Such a cute post!! Loved learning more about you :-) I'm a single shopper too-- I totally prefer shopping at my own pace, etc. And I had NO IDEA that you've only been sewing/selling etsy for a year?? Whaaa?? You're so fantastic!! ;-D Hope your day is going well!

Shannon said...

We share a lot in common! I'm an only and still take a while to get warmed up to people. That can be interpreted different ways and sometimes give people the wrong impression of me.

I am not a shopper either and like you would prefer to do it solo.

GG loves Wheel of Fortune too...think it's the clickety clack of the wheel!

XO

Krista said...

Hey Brandy-What fun to learn more about you! Wish I lived in the area to get to meet you in person. I think you're a great gal!

It takes me a few drinks to loosen up and get social too;) Congratulations with all your Etsy success, I hope it continues to grow for you!
Just a side note...Take your time and consider another baby, it's priceless to watch them grow together and lean on each other!

Stephanie said...

Wow, we have so much in common and I did not even know it. So glad you did this post! I too am an only child and like commenter Shannon said, it takes me a while to warm up to people and I am always perceived differently because of my shyness : (
Also..I graduated in 99 and I was a Kilgore Rangerette, 99 - 01! Crazy! I know you have talked about E Texas a lot but I guess I never caught Kilgore in your posts before. That is so cool!! Some of my favorite memories are from that town, you probably moved to Lubbock as I was moving to Kilgore.

Jessica said...

I too am a Beer kinda gal. I love a margarita every now and then but would much rather sit around with the boys and drink a beer!

So much fun to learn more about you! Hope you have fun at the meetup! Im hoping someone does one around Nashville sometime soon. Id love to meet up with some bloggers!

Brandi said...

I'm a Red Raider too!!! LOVE Lubbock, fave place on earth!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I can't believe you only started your sewing adventures last year!!! :) So crazy, you do such a great job! Have fun at the meet up.

Tales from the Trails said...

Your going to have so much fun. Wish I could make it to the Big D but I have to cuddle with my baby ; )

The cucumber/pickle thing is too funny. Kind of like when I was a kid with tomatoes and ketchup. Would use ketchup but wouldn't touch a tomato, HA!!

Melanee said...

its great to read all these things about you. how do you load ecoupons onto your kroger card? i gotta know all about that girl!

Val said...

Such a wonderful post! Have fun at the meet up =)))

Jennifer said...

What a fun post Brandy!! I am so excited for you to be going to your first blogger meet-up. I am sure it is going to be great! I would never have pegged for for a 'shy; gal...LOL!

Niki said...

Super cute blog! Can't wait to meet you at DBM! And your Etsy shop is great, too!

Mrs. England said...

Having been reading along and love your blog!

I am giving you a blog award:

The Versatile Blog Award
http://babyboyengland.blogspot.com

Megan said...

I stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say hi :)

Fun post!! I think it's so cool that you're going to a blogger meet up...I'd LOVE to do that!!

I have a great giveaway on my blog today! You're welcome to check it out!

Libby's Life said...

So I gave you a stylish blogger award! So all you have to do is go to my page grab the button and link back to me when you post it and your 6 stylish bloggers you're giving it too! :) Hope you have a great day!!!

Shannon said...

Brandy- what a fun post! I loved reading all these details about you! Have fun at the meet up!!!