2.07.2011

Getting Organized in 2011 (Part Two)

Getting Organized - Part One

We host a Super Bowl Party at our house every year, so I spent most of Saturday getting ready for the party... but not the fun cooking and baking kind of getting ready!  You see, we converted our dining room into my sewing room and it's the first thing people see when they walk in our front door.  Eventually we'll build a wall with French doors, so at least my little creative nook can be closed off when we're having guests, but for now it's wide open for all to see!  So, I spent Saturday cleaning and organizing my creative space, so at least it gives the appearance of organized chaos!  HA!

BEFORE

As you can see from the pictures, my room was a MESS!  Shirts, fabric, ribbon, thread and stuff EVERYWHERE!  I do A LOT of sewing and I don't always make it a point to clean, fold, and organize as I go, so I had my work cut out for me when I finally decided to make sense of my disaster!

   AFTER

I started my cleaning/organizing by clearing off my tables and putting everything where it belonged.  I used tupperware containers for fabric scraps that could be used for appliques, extra bobbins and my applique patterns.  I kept the threads out that I use most frequently and stored the rest.  Now I have ample room for cutting, putting shirts on hoops, etc.


A few weeks ago, I was asking Ran for ideas to keep my ribbon organized and he found a metal rod for me to put it all on.  The rods were actually from a closet extender we didn't use anymore and they work perfectly since I can hang them from my shelves.  I simply tape the end of the ribbon after each use to keep it all nice and neat.  I took everything off my shelves so I could start from scratch getting organized.  I folded all my shirts/onesies and arranged by size.  I also organized all of my fabrics by either style or collection.  Now, I can easily look at the shelves and see what I have without having to dig through everything.  I found so many cute fabrics that I had completely forgotten about!  HA!  Once I cleaned everything up, I even had enough room left on a shelf to create a little space for packaging all of my items that are ready to ship!  I am loving my newly organized space - it's so much quicker and easier to create when everything is in order!  I'm going to work hard to keep my sewing room organized because this little project took me almost 5 hours! HA!  I'll be sure to post more pictures once we finally put up the wall.  I have some fun ideas of what I would like the finished sewing room to look like.  Think bright and cheery fun colors!


And, just because I can't leave my little Jack out of a post - here are some funny pictures of him from last week.  I love the one where he's trying to drink outta the water hose!  It's not hooked up, but I can just imagine him running through the sprinklers and sneaking a drink from the hose this summer! 
Come on Summer... We're ready!
Photobucket 

14 comments:

Shannon said...

Looking good, B! We spent the weekend organizing too and getting ready to donate a BUNCH of stuff! Will feel good to finally get it done. Spring cleaning early so we can enjoy the nicer weather when it arrives! :)

Levans09 said...

Your sewing room looks awesome! I think I am finally going to buy a sewing machine!

The White House said...

WOW!! Looks great!! I soooo wish I had a room for proects.. =/ Guest bedroom takes precedence. =) Jack is looking like such a big boy! So sweet!

Neely said...

I want a craft room sooooo badly! Can i come share yours :)

Traci said...

You did a great job! Don't you love when everything's neat??

The Regal Pup said...

Your room looks good!

We can't wait for summer either - heck, I'll take spring too! j/k

Hope you have a great week! Jack's as cute as always.

Kari said...

Oh, your sewing room looks great. When I was sewing, I always was trying to figure out how to keep my fabric organized...

Pineapples and Pickles said...

impressive!!

Jennifer said...

Wow...what a difference a few hours can make!! I am just jealous you have that much space to have to organize :)

Stephanie said...

Wow it looks great, very organized! We are doing something similar to our formal dining room, we are making it into an office and would eventually like to put french doors to close it off a bit. Aren't home projects sooo fun! NOT. lol.

Mrs. England said...

Your blog is totally cute! I also love all your creations. You have a beautiful family... Oh and I am going to check out your Etsy page too. I am now your newest follower. I hope you will stop by:
Everything England
htt://babyboyengland.blogspot.com

Would love for you to follow back! (I'm in the Dallas area and found your blog through Bloggy Moms)!

Annie said...

so fun to come across your blog at random! i've had the whale onesie from your etsy store in my favorites for months now! ;) i really need to just order it!!
your craft room looks amazing and very organized now!!
and little jack is adorable!!
new follower :)

Emily said...

Inspiring, I should really go work on mine, my in laws will be here in one week!

Heather said...

Looks GREAT! I would say I am jealous but I have been spending some time organizing too. Next is my office! Yeah Brandy!