10.14.2010

Canned Jalapenos


My Memaw has canned fresh jalapenos grown in Grandad's garden for years and every time I go home or they come to visit, we get a new jar and they are sooo good!  Well, last weekend Scott's dad brought a ton of freshly picked jalapenos from his garden and since we can only eat so much salsa and fresh jalapenos before they go bad, we decided to can them so we'd have them to use in the coming months.  I've never canned anything before, but it was surprisingly EASY!! 


You will need:
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt (I use kosher)
fresh jalapenos
jelly jars (I used 1/2 pint)

Combine vinegar, water, oil and salt in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
Fill a large soup pot half way with water and bring to a boil - this is for canning later.
While waiting for the water pot and vinegar mixture to boil, wash jalapenos and cut off stems.


Chop jalapenos in a food processor, being careful not to over chop - you don't want pureed jalapenos!  You could also slice them in rings, if you prefer.  For milder jalapenos, remove seeds.


Fill jars with chopped jalapenos making sure to press jalapenos down with a spoon as you go.  Fill to about 1/2 inch from top.


Insert butter knife in center of jar and pour in vinegar mixture - just enough to cover jalapenos.
Screw the lid on tightly and place jar in boiling water.  The jars should be completely submerged in the water.  Boil for 10 minutes, remove and let cool.  Once cooled, lids should seal (center will pop down) and when sealed, peppers can be left unrefrigerated until opened for up to 6 months.


I made a double-batch of the vinegar mixture since we had so many peppers.  We ended up with 8 jars of chopped jalapenos and 2 jars of sliced.  These are great to use in any recipe calling for jalapenos or diced chilis (although a little spicier than chilis).  I use them in chili, salsa, enchilada casserole, queso dip, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, jalapeno cornbread and pretty much anything we want to spice up a bit!  Can you tell we live in the south?  HA!


ENJOY!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow!

I love canned jalepenos, but my recipe is different. And I've never seen anyone dice the jalepenos up, we usually just throw them in whole or slice them. But I'm sure that way works just fine.

I like my recipe because it doesn't require a water bath.
Just boiling the brine and the jars... pretty simple.

I can share if you'd like, just e-mail me.

Tales from the Trails said...

Your receipe is different than mine. Mine doesn't call for a water bath either. You will have to let us know how they turn out.

Jack looks SO big in the pic.

sa4grace said...

Approximately how many peppers did you use? I picked up a pound or 2 and am wondering if the ingredient list should be halved for what I have to do. Also, I'm definitely planning on seeding them- should I take precautions to not burn my hands, or just be really careful?

Jumping Jack said...

I have no idea how many pounds I used - it was that whole colander full! I would make the same amount of the brine - it's really not that much and you only have to use what you need since you pour it over the peppers once in the jar.

I would wear gloves when messing with the peppers - we weren't that smart and our hands were BURNING!!

Good Luck!